Last Mile Health (LMH)
At Last Mile Health, we work to deploy a health worker for everyone, everywhere. Are you excited about launching a new team to work directly with the government of Malawi to scale sustainable community health programs to make this goal a reality? If so, you may be the perfect fit for our Country Director position in Malawi, a critical hire to lead our new, and quickly growing, team.
Reporting to the U.S.-based Chief Operating Officer, the Lilongwe-based Country Director (CD) is responsible for stewarding all of LMH’s activities in Malawi. The CD oversees the development and attainment of LMH Malawi’s annual performance targets, the establishment of robust enterprise policies and systems, and the health and performance of a growing team.
The CD is responsible for stewarding LMH’s institutional relationships with critical external stakeholders (including the Malawi Ministry of Health and LMH’s program partners) and business operations in-country. They will also support the Director of Programs in the design and implementation of an in-country program strategy.
As Malawi is a new country program, the CD will be expected to prioritize the successful launch of LMH’s Phase 1 program activities and build the foundation needed to support LMH’s long-term sustainability and impact in Malawi during a period of programmatic and operational growth. As a leader on a start-up team in a new operating environment for LMH, the CD will need to both be comfortable with an evolving programmatic approach and play a leading role in shaping that approach in response to emergent learning and insight.
What You’ll Do
- Develop a government engagement strategy and make decisions regarding government stewardship, with support from global teams and drawing on lessons and insights from LMH’s experience in Liberia
- As the senior relationship manager with Ministry of Health and in-country LMH partners, ensure that LMH has the authorization and other partnership support needed to conduct our programs. Coach team members in maintaining these partnerships in support of overall program success.
- Serve as a liaison between global teams and the Malawi country program, managing annual planning and target setting processes under the auspices of LMH’s global planning and management rhythm
- With support from the Global People Operations team, foster an LMH Malawi team culture that reflects LMH’s values and supports the health and performance of a new and growing team
- Manage and provide coaching and professional development support to direct reports – the Director of Programs and the Business Services Manager
- Coordinate and co-lead the development and monitoring of proposals and grant agreements for Malawi-based programs in conjunction with the Partnerships & Development team
- Serve as authorized signatory in Malawi overseeing (directly or via delegation) all expense approval, regulatory compliance, and business management while serving as a champion for resource stewardship across the teams
What You’ll Bring
- MA/S in Business Administration, Public Health, International Affairs/Development,
- Public Policy/Public Administration or other relevant field
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience interfacing with senior government and NGO partners with a strong preference for health systems and health policy experience
- Knowledge financial and human resources management; experience owning significant budgets and leading staff teams
- Demonstrated ability to manage high stakes projects in complex environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Strong track record required for working effectively with range of stakeholders in the local context, including frontline health workers and national government agencies
- Significant team management and coaching background, with proven ability to rapidly build technical and non-technical skills among your team
- Comfort making experience in an ambiguous environment
You’ll Impress Us If
- You have previous served in a senior level position in Malawi
- You have lead start-up programs within a global organization
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health (LMH) saves lives in the world’s most remote communities by partnering with governments to bring critical primary care services to the doorsteps of people living in the last mile. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.