Smythe Road, Sunny Side, Blantyre
PO Box 31807, Blantyre 3, Malawi
Tel: (265) 1 827083
RN: NGO/R/002/03, C/0146/2002
Job Title: Area Coordinator
Reporting To: ACD-S with reporting line to HoP for programmatic issues
Job Location: Nsanje Field Office with extensive travel to district field sites
Salary Range (depending on experience) : MWK 1,102,864.95 – MWK1,276,704.04
GOAL has been working in southern Malawi since 2002 and currently has a presence in three districts (Nsanje, Chikwawa and Machinga). GOAL’s global objective is to promote resilient well-being by: helping people to survive crisis; promoting optimal and resilient health; promoting food and nutrition security, and; supporting people to have sustainable livelihoods. GOAL maintains close working relationships with district authorities and relevant line ministries.
Description of the Role:
The Area Coordinator (AC) is responsible, as the most senior member of field staff in a given district, for the implementation of all GOAL programme activities in that district. This responsibility covers the operational/support functions (Human Resources, Logistics, Finance & Admin, and Security) and, in collaboration with relevant technical and programmatic coordinators, oversight of direct programme. The AC also ensures that the district team adheres to GOAL and donor policies and procedures.
To ensure good management of GOAL’s programme activities in the geographical location, the AC is responsible for ensuring that the programmes receive the maximum possible level of support from to the Operational/Support functions. This will involve ensuring:
- Proper planning, monitoring and review by the programme staff to ensure programme implementation in accordance with donor proposals.
- Good, timely coordination between the programme staff and Operational/Support functions.
- An understanding by all parties of the constraints faced by other departments.
- The efficient performance of the Operational/Support functions.
- If required, the AC has a role to play resolving any conflicts between the different departments.
- A strong audit function i.e. to ensure that the activities on the ground are happening to the required standard.
- Coordinate with Blantyre based programme management team to oversee the implementation of day-to-day programme activities in the district
- Undertake regular site visits to monitor programme quality
- Facilitate visits by programme technical staff and external evaluators
- Work with the Logistics Manager to ensure that GOAL’s logistical procedures are adhered to at all times, reporting any breaches to the Logistics Manager/ACD Systems.
- Coordinating with the Logistics Manager on issues related to Logistics.
- Ensuring that the Logistics department provides the required support to programmes.
- Participate in weekly spot checks, monthly, bi-annual and annual stock taking and asset checks and sign off on physical inventory lists.
- Review with programmes and logistics, training and related accommodation/refreshment requirements on a monthly basis, one month in advance of planned activities.
- Implementation of GOAL’s Malawi’s HR handbook.
- Ensure all district-based staff submit approved timesheets in a timely manner
- Monitor and approve all annual leave of district-based staff. Ensure that an annual leave calendar is in place, and that the majority of annual leave is taken at appropriate times.
- Coordinate with the HR manager on issues related to HR
- Ensuring that the HR office provides the required support to programmes.
- Ensure implementation of district-based staff appraisals
- On a day to day basis managing the Financial Field Officer
- Work with the Finance Field Officer to ensure that GOAL’s Financial Guidelines are adhered to at all times, reporting any breaches to the Financial Controller/CD.
- Monthly review of spending and forecasting
- Daily cash counts
- Review of financial paperwork to ensure all transactions are properly authorised and that all the requited supporting documentation is on file
- Participate in the annual Core Cost budgeting process with support from ACD-S
- Coordinating with the Financial Controller and/or Donor Compliance Officer
- Ensuring that the Finance department provides the required support to programmes
- Liaise with partners at District level
- Attend all appropriate co-ordination meetings and share information regarding projects and security where relevant
- Liaise with ministries at the district level
- Implement GOAL’s Security Guidelines and Procedures in the district
- Periodically review the site-specific security guidelines
- Ensure all office and accommodation meet basic security standards, including fire prevention, lockdown and evacuation procedures
- Provide a security briefing to all staff/visitors arriving into the site for the first time.
- Monitor the security situation and provide regular informant to the SMT of any incidents, changes or adverse conditions affecting staff safety or project operations in the region.
- The AC should have regular dialogue with the District Commissioners, and other relevant stakeholders and field staff concerning the current and expected security situation including threats and concerns.
- Serve as a member of the extended Country Management Team, attending meetings as required and acting as a bridge between the SMT and staff in Machinga district
- At least 5-7 years work experience at field coordination position
- Bachelors (or preferably Masters) degree in social sciences, business, public administration or a related field;
- Strong experience in programme management with at least 3 years with NGO experience
- Good interpersonal and motivational skills and a proven ability to lead a diverse team under challenging field conditions
- Ability to work at own initiative
- Ability to work under pressure to pursue multiple tasks simultaneously to successful conclusions
- Experience in report writing and proposal development
- Experience liaising with governmental / local authorities and other INGO’s
- Good Logistics, Human Resources and Finance/Admin background
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit application letters, copies of qualifications and curriculum vitae consisting at least three references for similar work by 14th October 2019 to email@example.com. GOAL Malawi promotes gender equality, therefore women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Please use this email subject line: Area Coordinator – Nsanje Office or send to: The Human Resources Manager, GOAL, and P.O. Box 31807, Blantyre 3.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct, Safeguarding and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any individual who works with GOAL is expected to adhere to these policies.