Brethren in Christ Church (BICC) and Mennonite Central Committee (MCC)
[pms-restrict subscription-plans = “516, 517”]
Brethren in Christ Church (BICC) is a locally registered faith-based organisation. Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a global, non-profit organization that strives to share God’s love and compassion for all through relief, development and peace, working in over 60 countries. Together, BICC and MCC are implementing relief and development activities in Malawi and are in the process of setting up a Malawi office.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for Gender Specialist for a five-month contract at BICC’s Blantyre office.
Reporting to: Project Manager
Duration: 5 months; extension possible, depending on performance and availability of funding for subsequent projects
Start Date: July 5, 2019
The Gender Specialist is responsible for coordinating gender equality and women’s empowerment activities for the Project. She will implement the activities necessary for meeting the gender requirements outlined in the Project’s PMF and guide and support the Project team in ensuring the Project’s gender requirements are met in all areas of project implementation.
- Work with women in the Project communities to build their capacity as leaders, including the planning and facilitation of workshops for women
- Work with men in the Project communities to sensitize them to the importance of encouraging and supporting female leadership, including the planning and facilitation of workshops for men
- Work with women on the distribution and complaints committees to enable them to participate fully in decision making (monitoring their participation, coaching them, ensuring that they are each individually introduced as leaders to the community during community-wide distribution events)
- Assist with the three food distributions, including observing gender dynamics and female committee member participation
- With the assistance of the consultant, will lead in the creation of a PSEA Policy (Protection of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse)
- With the Project team, ensure the Project’s gender indicator targets are met
- Work with the M&E Officer in the data collection and analysis of the gender indicators as outlined in the Project PMF
- Select and work with gender champions who will help women in both communities to continue developing leadership skills and speaking up on behalf of women after the project is completed (mentoring champions)
This position requires a person with the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in development studies, social science, women’s studies or a relevant discipline preferred
- A minimum of 4 years experience working on gender-related issues such as gender mainstreaming/gender equality
- Awareness and sensitivity regarding gender issues
- Ability to address controversial issues with tact and calm
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English and Chichewa
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Knowledge of / and or experience of NGO or development sectors
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to work within a team, prioritize tasks and manage multiple activities with attention to detail, meet tight deadlines and work under pressure
How to apply:
Interested individuals should apply to
Vivian Bertrand: firstname.lastname@example.org and
Rev. Connex Kalinde: email@example.com
Submission should be made by 5pm; 29th June 2019 Malawi time.
BICC Malawi welcomes applications from all sections of the community and promotes diversity. All applications will be considered on their individual merit. Due to high volumes of applications received, we will only contact short listed applicants.