World Food Programme (WFP)
Budget and Programming Assistant, SC5, Lilongwe Country Office
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) WFP is recognized as the leading solution provider and partner in the struggle to end hunger and malnutrition and particularly for its efforts to reach those furthest behind first.
Being the frontline agency of the United Nations system that delivers innovative hunger solutions to 81 countries each day worldwide; WFP’s 14,800+ strong staff share a vision and commitment to end hunger by 2030. Tackling the causes — not just the symptoms – and operating in the remotest corners of the world, with all logistical means necessary, WFP’s results-focussed team provides nutritious and life-saving food and cash assistance when necessary. Bringing unrivalled experience and operating in the world’s most high profile, difficult environments, WFP upholds the humanitarian principles of humanity, integrity impartiality and neutrality.
In successfully achieving the Sustainable Development Goal 2 (SDG 2) i.e Zero Hunger by 2030, the WFP team actively fosters partnerships with governments, communities, local authorities, civil societies, other UN agencies and the private sector.
For more on WFP and what we do, please go to http://www.wfp.org/videos/zero-hunger.
WFP Malawi is seeking qualified and dynamic candidate for the positions of Budget & Programming Assistant based at the Lilongwe Country Office as detailed below;
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of Secondary School Education.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or Supply Chain Management
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to the review of budget plans, monitoring and analysis of project financial performance and make recommendations in compliance with WFP financial policies and procedures and best practices to support financial analysis and optimisation of resources.
2. Provide basic analysis on fund and grant balances and refer to the supervisor discrepancies, to support maximum fund utilization and decision-making process.
3. Contribute to pipeline management facilitating efficient monitoring to prevent and address pipeline breaks and maximise operational effectiveness.
4. Enter accurate data in the corporate systems within the established deadlines, to enable easy access to information and support planning and decision-making.
5. Compile data and provide basic analysis, maintain accurate records and files and prepare periodic and ad hoc reports for further reviews, to support accuracy and efficiency of information presented to internal and external stakeholders.
6. Maintain communication with a number of individuals regarding project funds management matters and related processes to clarify any discrepancies and optimise use of funds.
7. Provide guidance and on-the-job training to other staff in budget planning, fund management and operational planning, to support continued development and consistency in services delivered.
8. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices, to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in assisting with the preparation of complex financial documents.
• Has supported the performance of budget analyses.
• Has contributed to the collection of pipeline data.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
WFP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly females are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements, and do not attach certificates will be disregarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Paper applications will not be accepted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for applying for this post is 19 November 2019