Malawi Union of Savings and Credit Cooperatives (MUSCCO)
Malawi Union of Savings and Credit Cooperatives is a member based organization established in 1980 to promote domestic savings mobilization that leads to making financial services accessible to most Malawians through its member Savings and Credit Cooperatives (SACCOs). In pursuit of this objective MUSCCO uses myriad approaches to develop SACCOs that include Village Savings and Loans Associations as SACCO precursors for rural communities. To this end MUSCCO has developed a three year project called ‘Rural Livelihoods Enhancement Through Strengthening and Support for Community Based Financial Organizations’ funded by Financial Access for Rural Markets, smallholders and Enterprise (FARMSE) to be implemented in eight districts: Chitipa, Ntchisi, Blantyre, Thyolo, Ntcheu, Mangochi and Chikwawa. Accordingly, MUSCCO is looking for energetic, self motivated and enthusiastic persons to fill eight field positions for Community Outreach and Mobilization Officers.
Community Outreach and Mobilization Officers (Eight positions)
To be based in the project districts, the officers will be pivotal in strengthening, mobilizing and/ or introducing VSLAs as a means to financial services provision to existing and new community based organizations. MUSCCO is looking for field officers who understand community outreach approaches and rural development.
Key responsibilities of the post are:
- Promoting the Village savings and Loans Association (VSLA) model to as many people as possible to facilitate convenient community based savings and loans facilities as a means of teaching community members the culture of self-reliance.
- Making competent assessment of VSLAs linkage to SACCO — graduation
- Training community facilitators and group leaders in VSLA methodology and SACCO
Conducting community sensitization meetings to promote VSLAs and SACCO
- Timely preparation and submission of monthly progress reports
- Providing guidance to study circle groups’ discussions on matters of financial services — as an external facilitator
- Providing necessary in put in financial literacy study circle materials
- Working closely with district community development officers during community sensitization and monitoring.
QUALIFICATIONS AND OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Diploma in community mobilization.
- Possession of a degree and background in finance or accounting will be an added advantage.
- At least two years experience in a similar position.
- Proven working knowledge of computer packages such as MS word, excel, and PowerPoint
- Possession of motorbike license.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Application/motivation letter together with detailed Curriculum Vitae and three traceable referees two of which should be from previous and/or current employer(s) must be submitted to the following address by close of business on Friday, 19th July, 2019:
The Chief Executive Officer, MUSCCO, P. O. Box 651, Lilongwe