DanChurchAid (DCA) Malawi
Are you looking for an opportunity to lead a team of humanitarian and development experts responding to some of the key issues currently facing Malawi? Then this might be just the opening you are looking for!
DCA is looking for a Country Director in Malawi to lead and manage DCA’s country programme to ensure that a programme goal as “a meaningful and active participation of marginalised women and youths that realise human rights, food and income security, access to basic services and justice”, will be addressed.
DCA Malawi Country Programme comprises a diverse portfolio of activities ranging from e.g. Responding to emergencies; improving livelihood of poor rural communities; active citizenship/accountability/ transparency; democratic and economic governance with an specific focus on youth and women. DCA Malawi programme is implemented in partnership with local civil society organisations.
As Country Director you have the overall responsibility to lead and manage the country programme, including one international staff, 17 national staff, a turnover of activities of 3 mio. USD implemented by 18 partners. DCA’s main office is in Lilongwe, and programme implementation in 9 districts distributed equally in the 3 regions.
We expect you to:
- Provide strategic leadership of the country programme in Malawi and to further develop the programme in line with DCA strategy, financial targets and priorities
- Support DCA’s work together with partners, build capacity and continually support staff’s development.
- Represent DCA proactively. Build and strengthen relationships in Malawi and in Denmark, towards embassies, donors, private sector actors, partners, authorities and other stakeholders.
- Meet DCA organisational performance benchmarks and related deadlines.
- Engage in proactive communication and media work with constituencies in Denmark.
- Contribute and communicate with DCA headquarter on relevant policies and strategies.
- Identify new donors, maintain existing donor relationships and ensure financial compliance with donor requirements.
- Overall responsible for risk and security management
We are looking for a Country Director who has:
- Master’s degree in social science or another related field, work experience within development or humanitarian response.
- Ability to identify with and practice management values: respectful, participatory, strategic and vision driven, efficient and accountable.
- Ability to lead a team of staff with demonstrated strategic leadership and management experience (at least 5-7 years) in humanitarian and development programming in complex working environment.
- Knowledge and experience with Malawi political, cultural, and economic spheres an advantage.
- Experience in partner-led implementation of projects.
- Experience working with faith-based organisations and religious actors.
- Focus on innovative and creative thinking and approaches
- Experience with a gender equity and rights-based approach.
- Understanding and experience of partnerships with private sector.
- Analytical and strategic thinking, with a commitment to a long-term development process.
- Proven experience with project cycle management, implementing donor guidelines, strong negotiation skills, diplomatic tact and ability to nurture relations.
- Good communication skills, fluency in English – oral as well as written.
For further information, please contact Cecilie Bjørnskov-Johansen, DCA Programme Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Expected starting date is mid-end October 2019. The contract is for three years with the possibility of extension. Terms and conditions are as per the DCA Handbook for Family duty stations.
Only online applications consisting of as a minimum a CV and a cover letter will be considered.
Closing date for applications will be 8th of September 2019. First Interview will be held on 20th September, 2nd Interview 24th September. Please indicate in the application if you are not available on the above dates. Should you be chosen for the second interview, you will have to fill out a behavioral analysis on 21st and 22nd of September 2019.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, religion or ethnicity are encouraged to apply for the vacancy.
Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding Policy.