Website Development Media International
Reports to: Country Operations Manager (Malawi)
Start date: May 2019 (or as soon as possible thereafter)
Term: August 2021 (with possibility of extension)
Based in: Lilongwe, Malawi
Salary: 1,600,000 – 1,900,000 MWK monthly, plus other benefits
Development Media International (DMI) delivers media campaigns aimed at changing behaviours, promoting health and saving lives in developing countries. We are the first organisation to scientifically demonstrate that mass media can increase life-saving behaviours. DMI recently published the results of its 5-year, £7m randomised controlled trial in West Africa which showed that 56% more children were taken for treatment for malaria, 73% more for diarrhoea and 39% more for pneumonia following exposure to our campaign. Modelling indicates that over 3000 lives were saved during the campaign and that our approach is one of the most cost-effective ways of saving children’s lives.
DMI has two priorities: first, to continue to generate ground-breaking research (we are conducting another randomised control trial in Burkina Faso, this time to measure our impact on contraceptive uptake), second, to take our proven strategies to scale, saving as many lives as possible. We work across a range of health issues, including child survival, reproductive health, nutrition, hygiene, and early childhood development. DMI works in close partnership with leading experts in health, including WHO, UNICEF and LSHTM and has been funded by some of the world’s most prestigious organisations including the Wellcome Trust, DFID, Comic Relief, the Global Innovation Fund, Unorthodox Philanthropy and the Mulago Foundation.
We are an innovative and rapidly growing organisation, working at the nexus between science and creativity. DMI has demonstrated that knowledge is not only a human right, but is also the key to saving lives in a cost-effective way. Our intellectual rigour, enthusiasm and willingness to learn from both our successes and mistakes, makes us distinct.
DMI has a permanent presence in Burkina Faso, Mozambique and Tanzania and will expand to Ethiopia, Madagascar, Malawi, Uganda and Zambia in 2019. Its regional operations include five more countries in West Africa as well as Burundi. DMI’s headquarters overlooks the Regents Canal in Hoxton, London and provides the strategic direction for the whole organisation.
DMI is ranked as one of the most cost-effective non-profit organisations in the world by GiveWell and was the first organisation to receive the maximum rating from Impact Matters. It is also endorsed by the Centre for Effective Altruism, Giving What We Can and The Life You Can Save.
Find out more on our website: http://www.developmentmedia.net
As part of a new DFID-funded Women in Sexual Health (WISH) consortium, DMI is working alongside the Family Planning Association of Malawi (FPAM) and Options to expand access to modern contraceptives and sexual and reproductive health services, particularly for the most underserved women and girls. DMI’s role primarily focuses on demand creation, and involves the production of radio and video content, as well as other media outputs.
DMI is looking for a Senior Campaign Manager to play a critical role the development and delivery of this campaign in Malawi. As a senior member of a newly established country team, the role holder will be expected to input into all aspects of DMIs programme, from design and production of campaign outputs, to engagement with local and national stakeholders and consortium partners.
In particular, the Senior Campaigns Manager will lead on the production, testing and distribution of creative content. Therefore, a background in media production or broadcasting will be a strong advantage. As this is an operational position, a proven track record of managing projects is critical. A commitment to promoting the sexual and reproductive rights of women and girls is also essential.
The role will include significant travel within Malawi during the most intense campaign periods. There may also be some occasional travel to regional meetings outside Malawi (once or twice a year). The position is open to Malawian nationals who have the right to work in Malawi.
More specifically, the Senior Campaign Manager’s role will include the following responsibilities:
- Assisting the Country Operations Manager in planning DMI’s activities in Malawi, in line with the wider organisational and programmatic strategy.
- Building and managing productive relationships with in-country stakeholders, such as consortium partners, government authorities, production companies, broadcasters and other NGOs.
- Contributing to operational management of the programme. Working to and maintaining internal planning documents, and reporting progress against milestones and timelines.
- Supporting the programme’s financial management by maintaining proper financial records and assisting with monthly budgeting and forecasting.
- Overseeing the production of engaging creative content that resonates with Malawian audiences. This will include coordination of script writing, translation and studio production of creative content, as well as providing editorial input to ensure the work is of high quality.
- Carrying out pre-testing of creative content with focus groups to ensure the material is appropriate for the target audience.
- Managing the distribution of creative content by broadcasters. This will include establishing partnerships, negotiating contracts, and broadcast management and monitoring.
- Developing a thorough understanding of DMI’s identity, aims and methodology, and the capacity to represent the organisation externally when required.
- Other tasks as required by DMI.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience
- At least 5 years’ relevant experience working on national level programmes in Malawi, whether in the NGO or private sector.
- In-depth knowledge of media landscape in Malawi, as evidenced by prior experience working in broadcasting, media production or on media-based SBCC campaigns.
- A proven track record of leading complex projects, ideally in collaboration with consortiums and/or government.
- Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to develop and maintain detailed planning documents.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both in English and Chichewa, supporting engagement with stakeholders from community to government level.
- Self-motivated, able to manage own tasks, prioritise workload and deliver to deadlines.
- Strong intellectual ability, as evidenced by a good degree or similar qualiﬁcations in a relevant ﬁeld and performance at interview.
- Comfortable using Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook), social media and online search functions.
- Commitment to promoting the sexual and reproductive rights of women and girls.
Desirable knowledge, skill and experience
- Experience working closely with the Ministry of Health, strong networks at regional or national level.
- Experience working within global health or radio environments.
- Experience working with rural communities and a deep understanding of the context.
Interviews for this role will take place on 29th and 30th April in Lilongwe, or via Skype.
Please apply via the following link:
To apply for this job please visit developmentmedia.bamboohr.com.