National Local Government Finance Committee (NLGFC)
[pms-restrict subscription-plans = “516, 517”]
The National Local Government Finance Committee (NLGFC) is mandated by an Act of Parliament to disburse and manage operational and development resources for Local Councils in Malawi. As part of the Malawi Government reform agenda and in an effort to enhance its institutional capacity, the NLGFC and the Local Development Fund (LDF) were merged.
The National Local Government Finance Committee (NLGFC) therefore seeks to strengthen its capacity to support Local Councils by engaging suitably qualified, experienced and result oriented Malawian professionals to fill vacant positions tenable at the NLGFC offices in Area 14, Lilongwe. The positions highlighted below, are very challenging, requiring highly committed and skilled individuals with exceptional expertise:
DISBURSEMENT ACCOUNTANT (GRADE M4)
The Disbursement Accountant will be providing technical expertise in the processing of all payments in accordance with disbursement policies and procedures.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Processing payments in accordance with agreed disbursement procedures
- Maintaining records of payments in an accurate and easily retrievable manner to facilitate resolution of possible queries.
- Preparing accurate periodic disbursement reports for management information and decision making.
- Obtaining documents pertaining to payments from supervisors and verifying each for authenticity, correctness, reasonableness; and eligibility in terms of GOM or Development Partner requirements
- Ensuring that all payment requests have sufficient documents to support and justify the request.
- Ensuring that all payment vouchers debit notes invoices and vouchers are duly authorized by the Executive Director or in their absence the appointed official to ensure legitimate payments.
- Ensuring availability of funds to designated projects to stem the possibility of interrupting implementation of projects.
- Verifying the eligibility of all suppliers with relevant agencies such as MRA, ODPP and NCIC
The Disbursement Accountant shall report to the Finance Manager
Bachelor’ Degree in Accountancy or full professional qualification such as ACCA, CIMA
Required and Preferred Competencies and Attributes
- Minimum of at least three (3) years’ experience in financial accounting and knowledge of public sector accounting systems and procedures
- Thorough knowledge of NLGFC’s implementation and disbursement policies and standards
- Complete familiarity with accepted best practices of procurement and disbursement processes others basing on their specialized area
- Use technical knowledge and skills to complete complex work and improve work systems
- Client Oriented, fast leaner, ability to work in teams and share knowledge
- Computer literacy with well-developed computation skills
- Ability to set up and operate an accounting database, preferably IFMIS and Tompro Accounting Systems
- Conversant with accounting standards and donor funded projects
- Clear understanding of project accounting, finance and procurement procedures
- Able to demonstrate strong ethics, a team player and works with minimum supervision
- Strong planning, implementation, monitoring skills with respect to institutional budget
- Training and presentation skills for explaining and interpreting accounting and financial data
For all the positions, Government approved salary scales for the National Local Government Finance Committee shall apply. National Local Government Finance Committee (NLGFC) is committed to diversify Gender equality in its operations and strongly encourages women to apply for the above vacant posts.
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should submit applications together with concise Curriculum Vitae (CV) plus three traceable referees and copies of relevant certificates to the address below not later than Monday 22nd July 2019.
The Executive Director, National Local Government Finance Committee (NLGFC), Red Cross House, Area 14, P/Bag 352, LILONGWE 3
Please indicate the post being applied for on the envelope. Applicants who fully meet the above requirements and are considered for further assessment shall be acknowledged