The College of Medicine (CoM) requires the services of enthusiastic individuals to work in various positions in evaluating the Malaria Vaccine Implementation Project (MVIP). Evaluation will assess the impact of the new vaccine on mortality, vaccine’s safety and the programmatic feasibility of delivering RTSS/ ASO1 (malaria vaccine)when introduced through routine health systems in Malawi. To undertake this major activity, CoM needs the services of highly skilled personnel at the central office (Lilongwe or Blantyre) and in the districts where the project is being implemented.
District Study Supervisor(2)- re-advertised Location: Balaka and Nsanje.
Reporting to the MVIP Project Manager, the District Supervisor will implement and supervise Household Survey, Mortality Surveillance and Safety Surveillance in one of in the district assigned. The supervisor will be responsible for managing 5-10 staff including nurses and field workers.
Duration of Contract: One (1) year with possibility of renewal subject to performance and availability of funding.
Key areas of responsibility
Among others, the District Supervisor shall perform the following duties:
- Implementing clinical and field studies in accordance with evaluation protocols
- Coordinating and supervising project staff
- Creating and maintaining a quality control plan for all evaluation activities.
- Ensuring accountability for site activities, specimen tracking, specimen transport, and inventory
- Coordinating regular trainings for MVIP study staff
- Coordinating with MVIP Project Leaders and other MVIP study team members
- Ensuring completion of all reporting requirements
- Ensuring appropriate use of electronic and paper-based forms for collection, compilation, analysis and reporting of evaluation data.
- Supporting the Data Managers
- Facilitating strong collaboration and coordination with the hospital staff/ management, community and other organizations working in the area.
- Updating the MVIP Project Leaders and study team on the status and operations of the studies
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in public health, community nursing, clinical medicine and an MPH from a recognized institution. Diplomas in clinical medicine or nursing together with at least 5 years’ experience in lieu of a Bachelor degree.
- Research leadership experience in a busy setting
- Management experience, along with ability to work in team environment
- Good community mobilization and engagement skills
- Excellent computer and communication skills with good knowledge of Microsoft programs and internet application systems.
The positions will attract a salary with benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications as applicable to contract staff in the College of Medicine. COM is an equal opportunity employer. Suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications together with copies of relevant certificates and detailed CVs with names, contact numbers and emails of three traceable referees to:
The Registrar, College of Medicine, P/Bag 360, Chichiri Blantyre 3
Applications should reach the Registrar not later than 18th September, 2019.
Only short-listed candidates shall be acknowledged.