GFA Consulting Group
The European Union and the German government have jointly commissioned GIZ Malawi to implement the programme KULIMA More Income and Employment in Rural Areas in Malawi (KULIMA MIERA). KULIMA MIERA aims to strengthen small-scale producers, cooperatives and micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) to add value and to link them through formal or structured marketing channels to access higher-value markets and thus create an enabling Environment in which rural income and employment can be increased.
KULIMA MIERA offers a range of activties to their private sector Partners and their respectvie Inclusive Business Models (IB Models). The programme’s focus on rural areas and agriculture means that the main IB Models that KULIMA MIERA has been supporting partners to operate in practice are Inclusive Contract Farming (ICF) schemes. ICF should be seen as one specific form of IB Model, through which smallholder farmers are provided with access to better quality inputs and a guaranteed market for their production by a processor or other form of off taker. The MIERA roject has developed a concept for an ‘Inclusive Contract Farming Advisory Facility’, with the remit of offering needs based and demand driven support packages to the KULIMA MIERA partners for developing and operating ICF schemes successfully. The purpose of this consultancy will be to implement this concept in partnership with the existing MIERA team in Malawi.
The long-term regional/national Expert, will supplement the international Team Leader in the role as Contract Farming Technical Advisor (CFTA).
The main Tasks of Expert 1 will be the following:
- Conducting assessment and analysis of KULIMA MIERA partners’ Inclusive Contract Farming Schemes
- Providing local knowledge and insight into agriculture, agri-business and Business management
- Providing high level (of) input to KULIMA MIERA partners to improve their ICF schemes and support the implementation of improved schemes
- Supporting team leader/lead CFTA in ensuring a high degree of collaboration with KULIMA MIERA
- Supporting team leader in identifying and contracting appropriate local short-term experts for specific tasks
- Managing short-term experts during their assignments and also ensuring high Quality of the services delivered
- Supporting team leader with regular reporting and other documentation to meet KULIMA MIERA requirements
- Support team leader with M&E activities and ensure that key lessons learnt are documented and shared with KULIMA MIERA team and other stakeholders regularly
- Education/training: Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics or Agricultural Development, Social Sciences, Development Economics, Business, or similar
- Language: Fluent in English and Chichewa
- General professional experience: 10 years in agriculture, agri-business, value chain development or private sector development;
- Specific professional experience: 5 years professional experience in the assessment, development and implementation of contract farming, inclusive Business models, anchor farms, in-grower and/or outgrower models
- Regional experience: 5 years of work experience in Southern Africa region, preferably in Malawi.
- Development Cooperation (DC) experience: 3 years