United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Analyst, the Finance Intern supports the provision of financial services in large COs ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Finance Intern promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Intern works in close collaboration with the Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations staff in the country office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide accounting and administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assistance in proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports
Processing of financial documentation (vouchers, supporting documents, telephone invoices, etc.)
- Follow-up with other United Nations agencies for information relating to payments.
- Preparation of routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with CO SOP.
- Extracting, inputting, copying and filing data from various sources.
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for financial records and documents.
- Facilitate delivery of check and EFT Payments
- Support knowledge building and sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on Finance.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to Finance, screening, collecting and preparation of documentation, data input, transactions tracking, filing, provision of information
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
- Good knowledge of financial rules and regulations
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system
- Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
- Enrolled for a master’s degree/final year of Bachelor Degree in Accounting or related Finance Disciplines OR Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related Finance Disciplines but within the first year of graduation
- Fluency in English
Important to note:
Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of:
- The nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or
- The intern, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence through private sources.
- Interns are responsible for securing adequate medical insurance for the duration of their internship with UNDP and must provide a medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship. UNDP will not reimburse the medical insurance of the intern. Any costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship assignment will be the responsibility of the intern.
- Costs incurred by interns, including undertaking official travel at the request of UNDP, in the discharge of the activities related to the internship shall be reimbursed by UNDP on the same basis as costs incurred by staff members or costs reimbursed to staff members, including payment of daily subsistence allowance, as applicable.
UNDP accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to personal effects that may occur during the internship.