Smythe Road, Sunny Side, Blantyre
P. O. Box 31807, Blantyre 3, Malawi
Tel: (265) 1 827083
RN: NGO/R/002/03, C/0146/2002
Job Title: Food Security and Nutrition Officer (1)
Reporting To: Field Manager
Job Location: Chikwawa
General Description of Programme:
GOAL has been working in southern Malawi since 2002 and currently has a presence in three districts (Nsanje, Chikwawa and Machinga). GOAL’s global objective is to promote resilient well-being by: helping people to survive crisis; promoting optimal and resilient health; promoting food and nutrition security, and; supporting people to have sustainable livelihoods. GOAL maintains close working relationships with district authorities and relevant line ministries.
- This position will contribute to the overall objective by being responsible for implementing all DFID-BRACC project activities in the target communities in the district, both directly and indirectly through training /mentoring of small and medium scale farmers, linking up with the Ministry of Agriculture irrigation and water development, Agro- dealers, other NGO and private sector actors.
- The post holder will be responsible for providing technical leadership and implementation of BRACC programme in Chikwawa. The role will require a high level of resilience in a dynamic environment; mature leadership skills; focus combined with flexibility; horizontal cooperation and vertical stakeholder collaboration and networking, high level of initiative and multi-tasking ability; and excellent skills in relevant. The suitable candidate should be able to understand the scope of the role and set priorities within one month of taking up the job; and start delivering on key performance targets within three months.
- Facilitate initial community entry activities, mapping, and assessments.
- Lead the planning, organization and implementation of BRACC food security and nutrition interventions
- Develop monthly, quarterly and yearly detailed program activity implementation plans on food security and livelihood interventions
- Facilitate farmer trainings on climate smart agriculture technologies and ensure that the adoption rate is high and sustainable.
- Work with agriculture extension staff at district and area levels and jointly develop quarterly and annualized work plans.
- Ensure timely and high-quality delivery of the food security and nutrition interventions of the project
- Conduct Follow-ups and ensure timely implementation of all the planned action – food security and nutrition interventions in accordance with the annual work plan.
- Foster positive relationship (collaboration and networking) with partners at district level.
- Participate in meetings to share progress on food security and nutrition interventions with stakeholders
- Produce periodic project progress reports as required by the District Manager.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to the lead farmers, nutrition promoters in the implementation of the food security and nutrition interventions.
- Support training for stakeholders and implementing partner staff in relevant aspects of food security and nutrition.
- Facilitate community mobilization, participatory assessment, opportunities and demand in targeted areas to make sure that the project is owned by the community
- Ensure procedures are properly followed in selection of beneficiaries and that right beneficiaries are targeted for the programme.
- In collaboration with Logistic department, support all field-based procurements for the programme in timely manner.
- Strengthen network and linkages at district level with all programme implementing food security and nutrition interventions.
- Ensure all documentation, reports, and records are maintained per agreed procedure, and information is provided on community activities as required.
- Co-facilitate step-down trainings with agriculture extension workers and lead farmers on various topics, as outlined in the implementation plan.
- Work with value chain actors and their service providers
- Work on disaster risk reduction, famer clubs and revolving fund management, community-based saving and lending groups.
Requirements, Skills, and Competence
- Must possess Advanced Diploma/Degree, in Community Development, Agriculture, Irrigation, Nutrition, or equivalent in relevant field with at least 3 years’ experience.
- Must have substantial experience in implementing agriculture, community-level development projects, using participatory engagement and grassroots mobilization techniques.
- Experience working on value chain actors and their service providers
- Sound experience working on disaster risk reduction activities, farmer field schools, asset transfer and revolving fund management, community-based saving and lending groups
- Excellent training and facilitation skills with a wide variety of groups having diverse experiences, backgrounds, skills, and education levels.
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills.
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit application letters, copies of qualifications and curriculum vitae consisting at least three references for similar work by 15th November 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. GOAL Malawi promotes gender equality, therefore female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. For hand deliveries please address your applications to: Human Resources office GOAL Malawi, P.O. Box 31807, Blantyre 3.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct, Safeguarding and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any individual who works with GOAL is expected to adhere to these policies.