Finance Assistance Change Education
JOB VACANCY for a HEADTEACHER for the Secondary School
FACE, a CONGOMA certified NGO in Zalewa, advertises for a HEADTEACHER (m/f) for its Secondary School on a full-time employment, starting in October 2019.
FACE is an NGO situated in Zalewa, Southern Region of Malawi. FACE is a non-profit organization that exists to provide free, relevant and high-quality education based on Christian values for underprivileged students of all backgrounds in a conducive environment where they can realize and develop their potential to be serving agents of change in their society. Currently there is a Secondary School with a team of thirteen staff members, a Community Involvement Team with two social workers, the Security and Construction Departments, the Finance Department and two to five volunteers from Germany. A Primary School and a Vocational Training Center are about to start the next academic year.
FACE is an organization which is driven by its Christian faith and the vision of empowering the youths of Neno district and Malawi. Therefore, FACE searches for staff that fully identify with the mission statement and the purpose of the institution. FACE does not offer a mere job but a place to live out one’s calling and passion for bringing change and development into societies of Malawi. If you are a dedicated Christian, who is ready to work diligently and to develop an innovative, high-quality learning environment and who wants to lead a team of teachers to grow closer to Jesus and to its best professional performance – then you are most welcome to find out, if FACE Secondary School Zalewa is your place of ministry. Being a headmaster at our school, you will be a professional and spiritual leader.
TASKS AND FIELD OF WORK
- Recruit appropriate staff that identifies with the mission statement of FACE and is willing to think and work innovative in educational fields
- Lead, empower and motivate a team of teachers, organize and lead regular teacher’s meetings every month, organize teacher’s workshops at least yearly that will lead to constant improvement of the school, holding regular appraisals with the teachers evaluating their performance
- Plan and organize the academic year, including time tables, activities, meetings
- Be updated about the conditions of the educational field, attend meetings with different school networks
- Fulfill administrative requirements and keep all necessary files in order (e.g. teachers files including their contracts)
- Recruit students according to the vision of FACE
- Create budgets for the Secondary School department
- Built a relationship to the parents and community, involve them into school activities, work hand in hand with the Community Involvement Team and our social workers
- Be in constant communication with the contact person of the Board in Germany and work in a management team consisting of the heads of our different departments
- Constantly evaluate and develop the school according to the mission, vision and values of our school
- Teach with activating methods and be a role model as a teacher
- Lead the team in spiritual activities
- Take time to pray for staff, students, board, community and school development as well as to think about problem solutions on a regular basis
- Reflect, explain patiently and discuss open minded cultural point of views in a cross-cultural team
TRAITS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- reborn Christian with a heart for the youths in Zalewa
- spiritually and personally mature
- have a passion for helping people especially those with limited resources
- open for advice, constructive criticism and new ways of dealing with old problems, be a lifelong learner
- open for to understand different points of views in a cross-cultural project, reflect critically own presumptions and communicate confidently in such a setting
- creative and innovative (creating new concepts, strategies, plans etc.)
- fluent in English (written and oral)
- organizing skills
- ability to communicate through internet/e-mail, using modern technologies
- punctual and highly reliable (for instance complying with dead-lines)
- work diligently, dedicatedly and faithfully even when not supervised
- team player with good interpersonal relationships
- teaching skills, especially in activating student-centered methods
- at least bachelor’s degree preferably with a bias in education
- teaching experience
- leadership experience in the position of a secondary school principal for at least 5 years
- experience in the duties described in the section “tasks and fields of work” are preferred
The Salary is based on the government salary scale for civil servants, depending on years of experience as a headmaster.
After successfully completing the six-month probation period FACE grants health care support with 60% and paid leave according to Malawi Employment Act. The employee will be on pension. Working hours are generally within the academic year, Monday to Friday, but as a responsible for the institutions’ well-being and development you should be ready to work in irregular times, on weekends or in school vacation if your duties require.
Those who meet the above qualifications and specifications are invited to submit their applications together with updated CVs, copies of certificates and three traceable referees
not later than Sunday, September 15th, 2019.
Interviews are scheduled for 23.-25. September 2019.