The Tobacco Commission
[pms-restrict subscription-plans = “516, 517”]
The Tobacco Commission was established by an Act of Parliament under the Tobacco Industry Act No. 10 of 2019. The Commission is responsible for the provision of regulatory services, promotion and development of the Tobacco Industry in Malawi. In order to efficiently and effectively execute its mandate, the Commission is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates of Malawi origin to fill the following vacant position tenable at its Head Office, at Kanengo in Lilongwe.
THE JOB FUNCTION
The Internal Auditor shall be accountable to the Internal Audit Manager for provision of internal audit services for the Commission.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
The Internal Auditor shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Reviews the established systems in the Commission to ensure compliance with Commission’s policies, plans, procedures and regulations
- Assigns duties to and supervises Assistant Internal Auditor(s)
- Prepares long term audit plans based on assessment of the internal Commission’s risks, having regard to appropriate measures of internal organizational risk.
- Develops and maintains comprehensive financial monitoring systems and instills effective internal control framework in all key financial management and accountability functions in the Board.
- Reviews the means of safeguarding the commission’s property and interest as appropriate, verifying existence of such property and interest.
- Assesses the impact of external factors such as economic, social, ethical, environmental and customer expectations.
- Conducts periodic risk assessment and mitigation interventions to avoid situations from deteriorating.
- Conducts internal monitoring and auditing and responds promptly to detected flaws by developing preventive and corrective measures and reports findings to relevant authorities
- Enforces standards through well publicized disciplinary guidelines and develops policies addressing dealings with sanctioned individuals.
- Conducts internal periodic and ad hoc audits and reports findings to relevant authorities and raises awareness of sound financial management and corporate governance throughout the authority.
- Monitor progress against action based on audit recommendation and report accordingly to relevant authorities.
- Any other duties relevant to the post that may be assigned from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The desired incumbent must possess at least a Bachelor of Accountancy Degree; or final Stages of Internal Auditing or Accounting profession such as CIA, MIIA, ACCA or CIMA plus at least four years’ practical experience in relevant field.
The desired candidate must meet the following person specifications or attributes:
- Must possess excellent supervisory and leadership skills;
- Must possess technical skills in auditing;
- Strong report writing skills;
- Self-motivated, innovative and a self-starter and be able to make on-the-spot decisions;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, and be able to negotiate terms with people at different levels.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested persons with the specified qualifications and experience should submit their applications under confidential by post enclosing detailed curriculum vitae with names and contact details of three traceable referees by 19th July, 2019 to:
The Chief Executive Officer,
The Tobacco Commission,
P. O. Box 40045,
Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.