|The Elizabeth Glaser Paediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) is a recognized global leader in the fight against HIV/AIDS. In its work to eliminate paediatric AIDS through research, advocacy, and prevention and treatment programs, EGPAF currently supports national, district, and local governments, facilities, communities, and non-governmental partners in 15 countries. EGPAF supports service provision for comprehensive HIV care, treatment and prevention programs, and health systems strengthening. EGPAF has worked in Malawi since 2001. Today, EGPAF Malawi implements evidence‐based HIV prevention, care and treatment interventions in 179 health facilities in eight districts through EGPAF’s U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief/U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (PEPFAR/CDC) ‐funded Achieving HIV Epidemic Control through Scaling Up Quality Testing, Care and Treatment in Malawi. Under the scope of HIV services in Malawi, EGPAF will provide Project Leadership to strengthen health informatics systems (HIS) at the facility and central levels to improve the quality, integration, and effectiveness of service delivery across care points within Malawi in collaboration with other implementing partners, Ministry of Health, and other organizations. This program will build on national electronic HIS infrastructure by providing reliable data sources for both national reporting and a reliable National Health Data Repository. Currently five key elements/ investments comprise the HIS for PEPFAR HIV services in Malawi, 193 facilities with an established point of care system, 517 back data entry stations, a Vital Statistics Unit, Lab Information and Management System (LIMS) and a Central Data Repository. The four elements are in various stages of development, implementation and integrationEGPAF seeks to fill the following open position
Position : Lab Information Management Systems (LIMS) – Team Lead
Direct Supervisor : Health Informatics Systems – Project Director
Location : Lilongwe
Summary of the Position:
The LIMS Team Lead will lead a team of developers, data base management and analyst, engineer and field support team in designing, developing and maintaining an efficient system to support the National MOH Diagnostics / Lab Unit with its business processes. This role reports to the HIS Project Director and maintains a critical partnership to understand the business objectives and engineer efficiencies into the day-to-day business processes for the Lab Systems. The individual will have
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide strategic oversight and technical assistance to strengthen Lab Information Management Systems (LIMS) to improve the collection, maintenance and use of quality data
- Lead design, development and deployment of effective software applications and data bases to support the LIMS Business Processes
- Lead and manage the system analysis, design and implementation activities of the LIMS Team to ensure quality deliverables for LIMS information systems, informatics, and data for decision making
- Analyze and document existing LIMS IT systems and processes for LIMS and stakeholders to determine gaps and integration possibilities.
- Develop use cases to guide systems development or changes to existing systems to improve data interoperability.
- Complete software development assignments to product specifications provided by MOH Diagnostics Unit / National Labs
- Analyze user requirements, programs, procedures, and problems to automate and improve existing systems and review these system capabilities, workflows, and scheduling limitations
- Conduct unit, system and integration testing to ensure new software meets requirements and is bug-free
- Work independently, providing project status reports and formal presentations as required.
- Hardware and Infrastructure: Provide oversight to ensure infrastructure investments are fit for purpose. Oversee procurement, deployment and ongoing maintenance of equipment for power, connectivity, data capture and analysis. Lead the development of technical strategies to support the introduction, scale-up, and sustainability of innovative technology and data management tools
- Data Use
- Develop and lead the implementation of an automated reporting strategy and process.
- Accountable for all reporting and BI tools including statistical and regulatory reporting.
- Design and maintain data assurance and validation process to maximize the accuracy and usefulness of the information used within the business.
Capacity Building: Collaborate with government counterparts to support capacity building around the collection, storage, analysis, use and transmission of LIMS data and oversight and management of the systems / hardware.
Stakeholder Relationships: The LIMS Team Lead will be responsible for ensuring collaborative relationships, strategic alliances and regular communications with the multiple stakeholders of the project especially with the MOH Diagnostics Unit, PEPFAR and Implementing Partners on regular progress of the technological systems for LIMS. Represent the LIMS Information Systems program at various fora to share lessons learned from technology, information systems and data activities
Budget and Compliance: The Team Lead will be responsible for managing the budget components and associated reporting in compliance with EGPAF and donor policies.
Project Management Ensure work plans, budgets and institutional capacities are aligned and managed to deliver scope on time with high quality in compliance with Ministry, Donor and EGPAF policies
Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Applications, Information Technology, Information Systems, Engineering or closely related field plus at least 3 years of experience in the job offered, as Software Engineer, Programmer, Application Developer, Systems Analyst, or in related IT position including experience in designing, testing, debugging and deploying applications.
Key Competencies and Proficiencies for the positions
- Experience leading a team of software developers, data engineers, architects and analysts.
- The applicant must also have any period of experience designing, coding, testing, and implementing customizations within the software environment, experience developing reports, workflows and metrics within the software environment, experience performing application development in a Distributed Delivery model
- Capability-level understanding of modern data ingestion/curation/wrangling tools/technologies such as Informatica suite (BDM, EDC, BDQ, PowerExchange, PowerCenter, etc.), Talend suite, Alteryx, Streamsets, Attunity, BI tools such as Tableau / Qlikview
- Strong ability to translate concepts around data lifecycle management solutions including Data Lake, Data Warehouse, Data Marts, ODS, ELT and ETL, Stream/real-time/Batch processing, CDC, etc. to various audiences, both technical and non-technical
- SQL and NoSQL database development, scripting and optimization
- Java/J2EE web application development, including Spring and Hibernate
- Hands on experience in SQL, Python, Hadoop, C# and other web development application
- Experience with UI development, Linux, Git, Docker, Puppet, Ansible, Vagrant, and related DevOps/deployment tools
- Knowledgeable with agile development methodologies and tools (i.e. Jira, Azure, DevOps)
- Understanding of latest OpenMRS Frameworks
- Web server management and optimization
- Understanding of Health Information Exchange standards such as SDMX HD, HL-7
- Proven experience in software development and code promotion procedures.
- Experience developing data driven rating applications for informed underwriting.
- Data governance design and implementation experience a plus.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills and abilities
- Technical savviness and a willingness to experiment with and learn new technologies
- Strong communication skills with an ability to explain complex details and methodologies to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to introduce and drive innovative ideas and processes within established environments
- Experience in establishing and sustaining working relationships with Ministries
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Excellent strategic planning and analytical skills
- Have the desire and ability to learn additional technologies as projects demand.
- Demonstrate an independent work initiative and team based leadership
- Exhibits diplomacy and a professional demeanor.
- Dedicated visionary and strategic leader with ability and experience to work in a multidisciplinary, multi-cultural team
- Strong communication, presentation, written and facilitation skills
- Superior critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to interface with stakeholders at any level, executive to engineer
- Competent in leveraging Microsoft Office tools, specifically PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
Closing date: October 12, 2019