Website GOAL Malawi
Smythe Road, Sunny Side, Blantyre
PO Box 31807, Blantyre 3, Malawi
Tel: (265) 1 827083
RN: NGO/R/002/03, C/0146/2002
Job Title: Logistics Officer
Job Location: Blantyre
Reporting to: Logistics Manager
GOAL has been operating in Malawi since 2002, initially in an emergency capacity, and then as a broader health and livelihoods focused development programme. Globally, GOAL’s current strategic goals are as follows: i) communities attain optimal and resilient health; ii) vulnerable groups participate in and shape their society and environment; iii) households and communities have economic and food security. These objectives are in line with the Government of Malawi’s own developmental priorities, as laid out in the MGDS II.
General Description of the Role
The Logistics Officer is responsible for managing the Base support and Warehouse staff, overall responsible for managing all receipt and distribution of stock in the GOAL Warehouses in Blantyre Office
- Management of Security Guard timetables/attendance
- Management of drivers to ensure that they keep time, the vehicles are clean and fuel in time for a trip.
- Maintain folders of Subordinate Staff Holiday and Sick Leave Reports and submit to Area Coordinator for review and approval
- Ensure all repairs are reported to the Logistics Manager and repairs done in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Report any repairs to be done for the compound premises and fence.
- Spot checks kitchen/ washrooms and office frequently and maintain expected hygiene standards level. Delegate responsibility to the cleaners to maintain cleanliness
- Management of Base Water, electricity, generator and ensure it is serviced as scheduled.
- Coordinates transportation of supplies through established transportation processes; arrange for transportation of supplies coordinate shipment and receipt of supplies using established guidelines where possible.
- Determine best delivery method based on the supply chain, cargo type
- Manage GOAL Malawi transport fleet and locally hired vehicles where applicable
- To co-ordinate with programme and operation staff to ensure that the transport requirements are being met
- To manage all transport requirements including Vehicle logbook (VLB) fuel consumptions, maintenance, servicing and ensuring that all vehicles/motor bikes are fully equipped with tool kits, First Aid kits, and other relevant equipment for short or long journey.
- Make sure vehicles equipment are maintained as per GOAL logistics manual and specific maintenance schedule and standard and security standards
- To manage and coordinate all drivers and make regular inspections of vehicles/motor bikes and vehicle logbooks
- Liaise with Transport Officer on the repairs and maintenances of vehicles based on the reports submitted by mechanic or identified garage.
- To monitor and evaluate drivers’ performance, fuel consumption and vehicle maintenance and repairs.
- To carry out daily weekly and monthly checks on all tools and spares in all GOAL vehicles as well as weekly mechanical checks in cooperation with mechanic or identified garage
- To provide monthly evaluation reports on all transport logistics issues to the Logs Co
- To manage fuel system, including the weekly and monthly transport analysis of the cost and efficiency as per GOAL standard Vehicle Logbook and Fleet summary formats
- To make sure that there is an efficient system of booking (daily, weekly, late, individual vehicle) as per the vehicle bookings and allocation
- To make sure that all safety and security procedures and measures according to GOAL manual are exercised and those which are specifically required for within Malawi locations
- Coordinates the maintenance of a fleet of vehicles by maintaining table of tracking database to ensure vehicles are maintained
- Assist the Logistics Manager in ensuring that all assets are registered on the Fixed Asset Register
- Assist the Logistics Manager in maintaining the extract asset register for Blantyre office by ensuring that all movement of assets is recorded and tracked.
- Ensure that all assets which are damaged are reported to the Logistics Manager for repair or request assessment for disposal action
- Assist the Logistics Manager in ensuring that all asset certificates are filed in an orderly manner
- Assist the Logistics Manager in ensuring that asset repair certificate is prepared and accompanies any asset that is sent from the field to Head office for repair
Stock and Store Management:
- Processes inventory requests and validates receipt of goods and materials against requirements; ensures inventory requests are fulfilled
- Ensure that all goods received by GOAL are recorded in GOAL standard templates and are stored and handled as per GOAL logistics manual procedures of safety, security, accountability and transparency
- Ensure that all store transaction paper works are kept filed as per GOAL filing system.
- Ensure that all the items stored in the warehouses are recorded in GOAL warehouse papers
- Supervise weekly and conduct monthly and mid-year stock taking as per GOAL standards with coordination from Logs Co
- Produce monthly and weekly warehouse reports as per GOAL Logistics Manual standards based on information acquired from the warehouse records.
- Manage storekeeper/assistant (s) where applicable
- To keep up to date records and files on all stocks in soft copy tool of Stock Monitoring Sheet through data info
- Disseminate store records (SMS) on weekly basis to SMT and programme staff.
Distribution of Stock
- Management of IRF’s for local stockGeneration of DD’s (Delivery Dockets) and Packing lists for all stock to be transferred to a secondary warehouse or final destination.
- Manage and account for all fuel stock tracking (issues and receipts)
- Maintain all folders in an orderly fashion, including
- DD & Packing Lists
- GID’s / GRNs
- Stock Cards
- Bin Cards
- Tracking of DD’s and Packing Lists generated from Nsanje
- Manage procurement at level I in line with GOAL procurement manual – liaise with the Procurement
- Supervisor on any support required when managing procurements at this level
- Manage all keys for warehouses and hand over to Logs Co every evening (close of business)
- Management of the compound generator.
- Undertake other duties that may be determined by GOAL management.
- Ensure that payment is made promptly and that the finance department receive all necessary documentation
Requirements (Person Specification)
- Degree in Procurement and Logistics Management/ Supply Chain Management or Professional Diploma offered by CIPS.
- Previous experience working in Logistics unit
- Staff management experience and good inter-personnel skills
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- IT literate
- Report writing skills
- Very enthusiastic and keen to work hard to achieve the objectives of the programme
- Skills in computer Packages – Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit application letters and curriculum vitae consisting at least three references for similar work by 31st May, 2019 firstname.lastname@example.org please use this email subject line: Human Resource Manager or send to: The Ag Human Resource Manager, GOAL, P. O. Box 31807, Blantyre 3.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of Program participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies. Any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.