Education Development Trust
Education Development Trust is looking for an experienced Numeracy Specialist to deliver high level technical management on an anticipated 4-year programme to strengthen Malawi’s education system and improve numeracy outcomes for primary pupils. The Numeracy Specialist will be responsible for delivering results and improving educational outcomes, supporting national delivery priorities and overseeing a team of high-performing specialists, education experts and grassroots delivery partners.
This ambitious programme will support the Malawi Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MoEST) in improving the country’s education system by implementing a series of targeted interventions that will improve the quality of teaching and leadership in primary grades and raise functional numeracy outcomes for all children.
The suggested project components of the Numeracy programme are:
- Strengthened teacher development and practice in the teaching of early grade numeracy
- Strengthened numeracy curriculum, materials and assessment at a primary level
- Strengthened evidence-based planning and accountability through improved quality, relevance and use of education data, pupil data, inspection reports and research and evaluation.
- Qualified to Masters level or above in international education, preferably in mathematics, non-formal and/or other alternative education approaches, basic education, teacher training, and/or social/behavioural sciences
- Broad education sector knowledge
- Minimum of four years of relevant professional experience working on numeracy instruction in primary education
- Minimum of two years of experience in designing and coordinating trainings in numeracy
- Knowledge of government systems and reform processes
- Demonstrable leadership track record
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- More than 10 years’ relevant experience, a minimum of 5 years working in a developing country context
- Prior experience of monitoring the delivery of large-scale education sector programmes
- Demonstrable experience of working on capacity building and skill transference projects within education
- Experience of living and working in Malawi and an understanding of the issues facing the education sector in Malawi
- A strong understanding of monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including report writing
- Fluency in English required; Chichewa proficiency preferred
If you have the ambition to effect lasting change, knowledge of government systems and education reform processes and the experience to work effectively in this dynamic context, we would love to hear from you.