Baylor Children's Foundation-Malawi
The Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation — Malawi (BCM-CFM) is a not-for-profit organization working in partnership with the Malawi government in the health sector. Our mission is to improve the health and lives of HIV-infected children and families and Children with cancer and blood disorders through high quality, high impact, ethical, state of the art comprehensive care and treatment, training of health professionals and clinical research. We are situated within the Kamuzu Central Hospital premises, opposite Kamuzu College of Nursing.
BCM-CFM invites applications from suitably qualified individuals to fill the following position:
PHARMACIST – PEDIATRIC HEMATOLOGY ONCOLOGY (PHO) PROJECT
The Pharmacist will report to the Medical Director, Pediatric Haematology Oncology Centre of Excellence program (PHO COE). The Essential responsibilities will be to promote Excellence in pharmaceutical care through management of medication preparation, dispensing and distribution process, identifying and preventing dispensing errors and resolving any distribution related issues.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Required for complete satisfactory performance in this job is knowledge of:
- Medical knowledge base and medication knowledge base
- Knowledge of the dispensing process
- Knowledge of pediatrics
- Proper handling of hazardous substances (chemotherapy)
- Mixing and preparing of chemotherapy, using a chemotherapy hood
- Maintaining chemotherapy hood(s)
- Knowledge regarding effectively communicating medications’ effects and education about medications
- Maintain validation of departmental and area-specific competencies
- Ability to manage and maintain adequate stock of medications, including chemotherapy
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Teaching and communicating to patients/families without a formal education
- Team work
- Application of medical ethics in clinical care and research
- One on one and small group teaching skills
- Ability to work in intensely stressful and anxiety provoking clinical environment,
- Strong verbal and written English & Chichewa.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Pharmacy
- Registered in good standing with the Pharmacy Medicines and Poisons Board of Malawi
- Reliable and able to handle complicated issues with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills in Chichewa and English
- One year of experience in a pediatric inpatient hospital or two years of experience in an inpatient hospital pharmacy setting is preferred
- Ability to work in team oriented environment a must.
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates should address their applications, including detailed Curriculum Vitae and names of three traceable referees who are not relatives to:
The Executive Director, Baylor Children’s Foundation-Malawi, P/Bag B397, Lilongwe 3
Please clearly mark on the envelope the position being applied for. Closing date for receiving applications 19th July, 2019. Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.