Health Insurance Provider
The U.S. Mission Lilongwe, Malawi is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Plumber. The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- This position is located in the Facility Management Section, US Embassy, Lilongwe, Malawi. The primary purpose of this position is to ensure safe and working condition of all plumbing systems in residences, offices and the warehouse and constant availability of appliances.
- The incumbent is a journeyman level plumber assigned to the Embassy Facility Management section. The incumbent receives work assignments from the Maintenance Supervisor on a daily basis. The incumbent will be required to discuss and advise on the appropriate method of work and materials required when liaising with maintenance team and supervisors, estimate material costs and time frames required to achieve targets. The incumbent is responsible for the installation, maintenance, and repair of all plumbing fixtures including, but not limited to water pumps, sinks, tubs, toilets, hot water heaters, drains, and all plumbing pipe work.
- The incumbent analyzes the source of problems and plans work to be performed, including organizing the materials needed to do the job. On a daily basis implements a personal time management system in order to assure timely rotation of work orders through to completion. Advices on a reasonable time frame for such work so that supervisors can set and reach goals and objectives. Installs, cleans and repairs pipes connected to the various appliances including washing machines, dish washers, and hot water heaters. Replaces pipes, washers, packing, and gaskets as needed. Assembles pipe sections, tubing and fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing and welding equipment. The incumbent may use basic welding skills when required to effect plumbing repairs. The incumbent will be required to work closely with other tradespersons when participating in joint projects ensuring they run smoothly, safely and, wherever possible, within the allocated time frame. 65%
- The incumbent performs preventative maintenance as needed and is responsible for maintaining all associated equipment and tools. The incumbent ensures all relevant paperwork is submitted for processing including incident/report forms on situations that arise where a response or repair is required urgently for damage limitation or Health and Life Safety needs 25%
- The incumbent will drive Government vehicles to job sites or to obtain supplies. He or she carries out regular stock checks and request materials in line with project magnitude or variation.
The incumbent will lift and adjust heavy objects, and will come in contact with hazardous, sharp, hot and/or very cold supplies and equipment. He or She must maintain safety procedures at all times to avoid injury to self and other and damage to property.
- The incumbent is expected to assist other trades when asked to do so by the Maintenance
Supervisor, Assistant Facility Manager and/or Facility Manager. 10%
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: Must have served at least two years as an apprentice plumber and at least one-year working as a journeyman-plumber.
Completion of Secondary school is required; completion of vocational school or apprenticeship program, recognized as producing journeyman-skilled plumbers, or equivalent, is required.