Self Help Africa (SHA)
Better Extension Training Transforming Economic Returns (BETTER) Project
PMU Finance Manager
Self Help Africa (SHA) is an international NGO dedicated to the vision of an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa. We have 50 years of experience working with smallholder farmers, farmer associations, cooperatives and agribusinesses across Africa to help farmers grow and sell more food, improve diets, diversify incomes and make their livelihoods more sustainable and resilient to external shocks. We also work to build awareness of issues affecting smallholders and represent their interests at policy and institutional level. Our sectors of expertise include, Food and nutrition security, Sustainable rural livelihoods, Access to finance, Farming as a business, Value chain development, Climate resilience, Natural resource management, Water and Sanitation and Policy influencing. SHA has been operating in Malawi since 1994.
Self Help Africa as lead agency, in collaboration with Action Aid, Evangelical Association of Malawi, Plan International and ADRA, with funding from the European Union, will be implementing a programme called BETTER. BETTER with a total funding of E14.6 million with EU contributing €13.96 million is a five-year programme that aims at increasing the resilience, food, nutrition and income security of 402,000 smallholder farmers in the 10 districts of Karonga, Chitipa, Mzimba, Kasungu, Nkhata-Bay, Nkhotakota, Salima, Chiradzulu, Thyolo and Mulanje. BETTER is part of the KULIMA (Kutukula Ulimi m’Malawi) Programme. KULIMA Programme with an estimated cost of €111 000 000, is funded by the EU contributing €100 ,000 ,000, and co-financed by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and German Cooperation.
Self Help Africa would like to recruit a Finance Manager for PMU. The Finance Manager will be directly responsible for financial management of the BETTER Project in Administration budgeting, establishing and maintaining financial and management procedures, monitoring accounting and internal control systems, maintaining financial records, preparing financial statements and management reports and ensuring compliance with SHA Malawi accounting policies in line with EU donor procedures as well as ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements. This is a challenging role in order to ensure BETTER Project financial resources are put into good and intended use and to ensure effective and efficient support for smooth project implementation.
- A Qualified ACCA chartered Accountant,
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in a similar position preferably in an INGO, with excellent knowledge of the NGO sector in Malawi,
- Strong understanding of practical experience in Accounting;
- Proficiency in computer packages especially Ms Word, outlook and Excel and other related packages,
- Able to work well with staff and Partners at different levels,
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills, flexibility and ability to work to tight deadlines;
- Excellent English language skills.
- A good communicator, with proven experience in reporting;
- Ability to work in a team and able to work closely with a diverse team with minimum direct supervision.
- Experience in managing an annual budget of more than 3 billion Malawi Kwacha
- Experience in working with consortiums and NGOs
Please submit your application by Monday 24th September, 2019, a completed application Form, which can be downloaded at https://selfhelpafrica.org/uk/category/careers/ where the detailed job description can also be found. Completed application forms, a motivation letter, and an updated Curriculum Vitae should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.