Malaria Alert Centre
MAC-Communicable Diseases Action Centre (MAC-CDAC) is an institution under the College of Medicine that works with Ministry of health, local and international health agencies to address priority health problems such as malaria, HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, neglected tropical diseases and other communicable diseases. Focusing on operational and evidence synthesis research, capacity building and training, health care systems strengthening, disease surveillance, and monitoring and impact evaluation, MAC contributes to evidence based policy formulation and health programs implementation in Malawi and the SADC region. MAC requires the services of enthusiastic individuals to work in various positions in studies operating under the International Centre of Excellence for Malaria Research (ICEMR) project for a period ranging from one to six years. The project seeks to better understand the persistence of malaria in Malawi by conducting community-based cohort studies and collecting data in Health Centres.
Post-doctoral Fellowship (1 Position) — Blantyre
A post-doctoral fellowship position is available at Malaria Alert Centre of the College of Medicine to conduct research associated with the Malawi International Center of Excellence in Malaria Research (ICEMR). The research aims of the project are to assess the combined effects of the RTS,S vaccine and PBO nets in Malawi. The primary responsibilities of the fellow will be to work with international collaborators to set up the study and run it.
Duration of Contract: 2 years and its renewable subject to performance and availability of funding.
- Launch and oversee the study: Combined effects of RTS, S and PBO nets in Malawi
- Work with Pls to plan study implementation and workflow
- Anticipate and troubleshoot problems that arise during the study
- Analyze and write up study results
- With support of Pls, write scientific manuscripts, develop independent research questions and apply for further grant funding.
Training will include:
- Hands-on mentored training in Malawi and where possible at some collaborating institutions.
- Data analysis and scientific writing.
- Desired skills and experience
- MBBS plus a PhD in Epidemiology
- Experience in research methodology and statistical data analysis
- Experience in supervising research staff and students
- An independent and well-structured working style
- Well-developed communication skills to work in an international team
- Strong motivation and ambition to succeed in scientific research.
Each position will attract a salary with benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications as applicable to contract staff at Malaria Alert Centre, College of Medicine.
Suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications together with copies of relevant certificates, detailed CVs and names of three traceable referees to.
The Administrative Manager, Malaria Alert Centre, College of Medicine, P/Bag 360, Chichiri, Blantyre 3.
Electronic submissions should be sent to the following email address: email@example.com by 17th July 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged