Smythe Road, Sunny Side, Blantyre
PO Box 31807, Blantyre 3, Malawi
Tel: (265) 1 827083
RN: NGO/R/002/03, C/0146/2002
Job Title: Procurement Officer (2)
Job Location: Blantyre
Reporting to: Logistics Manager
GOAL has been operating in Malawi since 2002, initially in an emergency capacity, and then as a broader health and livelihoods focused development programme. Globally, GOAL’s current strategic goals are as follows: i) communities attain optimal and resilient health; ii) vulnerable groups participate in and shape their society and environment; iii) households and communities have economic and food security. These objectives are in line with the Government of Malawi’s own developmental priorities, as laid out in the MGDS II.
General Description of the Role
The Procurement Officer is responsible for the management and administration of procurement cases on behalf of the procurement department is order to facilitate the smooth running of GOAL programmes in Malawi. S/he is to ensure that orders for goods, services and works are processed promptly and good value for money is obtained according to the existing GOAL Logistics and Procurement Guidelines
- Under the supervision of the Area Coordinator in the field level and technically to Logistics Manager;
- Receive and process approved PRs assigned by the Logistics Manager from the field locations including Blantyre Office, checking that order has been correctly filled, that quantity/specification is possible, that coding that has been provided and that order has been properly authorised.
- Prepare necessary Enquiry Forms and Request for Quotation for all required supplies, serviced and works to service providers, with all specifications, indicate closing dates to receive quotations, with strict adherence to GOAL rules and regulations, receive quotations for local/files procurements requirements and prepare a bid analysis on the quotations and make recommendations to award a contract/purchase order, prepare required local purchase orders (LPOs) ensuring correctness and details of specifications, quantities and financial information for submission and approval
- Acknowledge orders received and where possible provide initial feedback on costing estimates and delivery times
- Where requested, help requester develop specifications, availability, rough costing etc.
- Liaise with requesters/Budget Holders to develop specifications when required and provide price estimates
- Ensure compliance with GOAL procurement policies and in-country SOPs.
- Keep updated and assist in the maintenance of the Supplier List, OTS and participate in market surveys as required
- Ensure all procurement files are held in soft copy in the logistics folder on the shared drive, and the completed file is correctly named
- In liaison with the Logistics Department coordinate the reception of goods from suppliers and follow up with suppliers / transporters on items missing or damaged in transit
- Ensure that the approved Purchase Order is submitted together with order requisition form with complete donor details, delivery dates and times is submitted to the warehouse personnel before delivery of the goods.
- Send appropriate procurement documents to HO for approval and strictly follow up the documents to get the approved documents swiftly. For any delay notify Procurement Supervisor/Logistics Manager
- Assist to ensure payment of suppliers is made promptly and that the finance department receives all the necessary documentation.
- Ensure procurement is undertaken in a timely manner to minimize disruption to programmes.
- Ensure that the inputs from the individual tracker are shared with the Logistics Manager and update the order tracking sheet.
- Provide advance warnings of delays / shortages or other problems to programme managers
- Develop a clear knowledge and understanding of GOAL procurement procedures and ensure that all purchases are fully compliant with GOAL donor rules and standard procurement regulations.
- Make sure that all suppliers are dealt with fairly and equally. You must never use your position for personal gain and should refuse any gifts that are offered by suppliers.
- Ensure items are never purchased from family members. If a conflict of interest arises you must request the involvement of an unbiased GOAL colleague in relation to the specific order or issue.
- Ensure the receipt of all goods procured locally is properly recorded using the correct GOAL documentation e.g. good in docket/goods receipt note (and a copy is filed with the finance paperwork).
- Be part of the procurement plans for all upcoming and or new projects at field level
- Ensure that the procurement process chosen follows the procurement chart level
- Provide procurement status to the Logistics Manager and advice on any delays / bottlenecks.
- Submit weekly procurement reports to the Logistics Manager
- Complete weekly activity plan and submit to Logistics Manager on every Friday of the week.
- Any other task as designated by the line manager or their direct line management
- Ensure that the following files are correctly managed and coordinated to the Logistics Manager
- Procurement files are well organized
- Conduct terrorist check for suppliers who are involved on Level II or above procurements – value above €1,000 for frequent bought supplies that amount accumulates to €1,000 /year
- Ensure that the supplier lists of classified local suppliers are maintained and up to date.
- Ensure that all email correspondence and computer files are stored in a structured and organized manner (oversight and management of the shared drive for procurement)
- Prepare the funds forecast and present to Logistics Manager for review on monthly basis (by 05th of the month)
- Prepare all the documentation for local purchases to tender opening committees and ensure that all member are available, keep the minutes to ensure compliance
- Degree or Diploma in Logistics or similar and relevant study
- At least 4 years’ experience in procurement
- Previous experience working with an international NGO
- Good IT skills in particular MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Good Communication skills in English – reading, writing and speech
- Good negotiation skills
- Flexible attitude
- Skills in report writing
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit application letters, copies of certificates and curriculum vitae consisting at least three references for similar work by 26th July, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org please use this email subject line: Procurement Officer or send to: The Human Resource Manager, GOAL, and P. O. Box 31807, Blantyre 3.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of Programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies. Any job offers made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidates, and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.