Heifer International — Malawi
Heifer International Malawi is a branch office of Heifer Project International (HPI), a U.S based non-profit organization that works with resource-limited households and communities with a desire to improve their lives through community development activities such as agricultural and livestock production, organizational and agribusiness development. Heifer International’s focus over the past 75 years has been on sustainable development anchored on its mission to work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the Earth.
Heifer International Malawi is implementing the Enhancing Community Based Financial Organizations (ECBFOs) Project with funding from FARMSE, which is a partnership between the Government of Malawi and IFAD. Heifer International Malawi therefore would like to invite applications as follows:
Job Title: Project Extension Officer (4 positions)
Reports to: Project Manager
Location: Thyolo, Chiradzulu, Mchinji, Lilongwe Rural, Dowa, Kasungu, Mzimba and Nkhata-Bay Districts
Job Level: Technical
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
To provide leadership in strengthening Community Based Financial Organizations (CBFOs) to have increased access to finance. The position will involve working directly with Community Facilitators and partners to increase smallholders’ access to finance and financial services through enhancing the capacity of community based financial organization. This position will interact with similar positions in other teams to promote consistency throughout the project and organization. 75% of the working hours will be spent in the field.
Essential Character Traits:
Accountable, results oriented, good communication skills, proactive, flexible, team player and respectful.
|RESPONSIBILITIES (including approximate percentage effort)||DELIVERABLES|
|A. Project Coordination and Management (40%)
|B. Project Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (40%)
|C. Representation and Stakeholder’s management (15)
|D May perform other job-related duties as assigned/requested (5%)|
Diploma or Degree in Community Development, Agribusiness, Business Management or Economics or any related field. The candidate should also have at least one to three years of work experience. Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for all or part of these basic requirements.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Strong project cycle management skills and financial management skills including planning, management of project budgets and reporting.
- Basic knowledge of issues associated with poverty, hunger, and the environment
- Basic knowledge of community development in principles and practices
- Experience working with women and men smallholder farmers
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven track record in generating innovative solutions in work situations: utilizing different and novel ways to deal with work problems and address opportunities
- Fluency in both spoken and written English and Chichewa
- Strong report writing skills
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Excellent organization skills including strong attention to detail
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail and internet (Microsoft preferred)
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively and use a motorcycle.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people
- Demonstrate honesty and integrity, and commitment to a high standard of accountability
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork and cooperation
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity
Mode of Application for the Position
Applications can be made on line at the following link: https://www.heifer.org/about-heifer/careers/view-all-jobs.html or by submitting an application to the following email address; email@example.com
Indicate the following in the Subject line “Application for the Post of Project Extension Officer — ECBFO Project”
The application must be addressed to:
The Human Resource Manager, Heifer International — Malawi, P.O. Box 31508, Lilongwe.
Closing date for receiving applications is September 24, 2019. Late applications and hand delivered applications will not be considered.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.