14 Trees Malawi Limited
14 TREES LTD is a joint-venture company established by LafargeHolcim and CDC, the UK’s Development Finance Institution owned by DFID. It is aimed to scale up the impact on Affordable Housing across developing countries including Malawi through DURABRIC; the affordable, low-carbon construction solution. Currently the company is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the post of Quantity Surveyor (Malawi) who will be based in Lilongwe.14 Trees is currently present in three countries; Malawi, Kenya, and Ivory Coast, with its headquarters in Switzerland. 14 Trees Malawi is also a sister company to Lafarge Cement Malawi.
The successful applicant will be reporting to the Managing Director of the Business unit, currently the Country Head of Operations within the framework of the Quantity Surveyor `s objectives and yearly action plans which he/she helps define, his/her missions. He/she will estimate costs of construction projects, working with contractors, builders, and architects to provide the most cost effective plans that meet high quality standards.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Review architectural plans and prepare quantity needs
- Estimate quantity and costs of materials
- Prepare contracts and documents
- Set budgets for payments, inventory needs, and materials
- Analyze costs for maintenance and additional building needs
- Track changes in plans or constructions; update budgets
- Negotiate with contractors and subcontractors
- Act as a liaison between clients and site managers/engineers
- Keep track of construction materials and inventory
- Identify potential financial or construction risks
- Advise clients on improvements, strategies, and/or estimated costs
- Prepare payments for contractors and subcontractors
- Document progress, materials, and reports on project
- Develop and maintain working relationships with contractors and subcontractors
- Utilize software to calculate, record, and track inventory and estimates
- Analyze completed projects to determine ROI and compare costs
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND COMPETENCES
- Bachelor’s degree in quantity surveying, construction engineering, management, or related field
- 5-10 years of general construction estimating experience, financial experience, construction experience, or related field
- Proficient in computer skills and Microsoft Office Suite
- Able to analyze financial records and apply data to improved results
- Strong aptitude for numbers, spreadsheets, and financial reports
- Experienced at compiling and following strict budgets; strong estimating and financial analysis skills
In-depth understanding of construction, materials, pricing, and industry
- Able to analyze problems and strategize for better solutions
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills in order to manage and direct development plans.
Eligible candidates meeting the required qualification and experience should send applications with cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), names addresses and telephone numbers of three traceable referees.
Application should be received not later than 30th August, 2019 to the email or address given below:
The Country Head of Operations
14 Trees Malawi Limited
P.O Box 40579
As an equal opportunity employer, 14Trees values employee diversity. We welcome applicants of any gender, identity, parental/career status, ability, religion, or cultural background.
Note: Only short listed candidates will be communicated.