Smythe Road, Sunny Side, Blantyre
P O Box 31807, Blantyre 3, Malawi
Tel: (265) 1 827083
RN: NGO/R/002/03, C/0146/2002
Job Title: Roving IT Assistant
Job Location: Chikwawa
Reporting to: IT Officer
GOAL has been operating in Malawi since 2002, initially in an emergency capacity, and then as a broader health and livelihoods focused development programme. Globally, GOAL’s current strategic goals are as follows: i) communities attain optimal and resilient health; ii) vulnerable groups participate in and shape their society and environment; iii) households and communities have economic and food security. These objectives are in line with the Government of Malawi’s own developmental priorities, as laid out in the MGDS II.
General Description of the Role
The Roving IT Assistant is expected to provide IT user support, monitor and maintain computer systems (network, software and/or hardware) for the Organization in line with IT standards and GOAL strategic objectives. Fundamental to this role is the ability to manage the IT system and engage with field on IT response and partners.
- Provide day-to-day IT support covering network (including cabling), computer, printer, scanner, software and hardware trouble shooting and servicing
- Respond to all IT requests for IT support within one hour of receiving request, expected where the requirement is declared urgent the response time be within 30 minutes.
- The IT Assistant will not be responsible for the procurement of any parts and replacements items, software or hardware required to complete his work but responsible for requesting quality IT supplies, parts, software and hardware required, procurement of these items will be done through procurement department.
- Provide basic IT training to GOAL staff including field logisticians responsible for IT related activities at field level
- Shall maintain a register of all work performed and submit such register to IT Officer to track IT related issues on the mission.
- Allow GOAL auditors to have access to books, documents and records which are directly related to IT service.
- Provide IT services to all Goal Districts.
- Network monitoring to ensure minimum downtime for both LAN and Internet, follow up with ISPs In case of internet downtime to ensure faster resolution of the problem
- Troubleshooting / Diagnosing and resolving technical issues, install authorized software on computers (laptops and desktops), scanners and printers.
- Ensuring upgrades are applied to desktops and laptops and kept up to date and install antivirus and update all computer (desktops and laptops)
- Travel between GOAL field offices to resolve critical IT related issues including computer, printer, scanner, software and hardware trouble shooting and other IT related services
- Ensure all GOAL field sites are adequately equip with IT related equipment.
- In liaison with the IT Officer collaborate with Internet service providers to ensure all GOAL field sites have efficient and effective internet connections and resolve internet problems in a timely manner.
- Ensure and maintain preventative maintenance system in all GOAL field offices and ensure faults are rectified efficiently and that all communications equipment are maintained in a safe and operational condition at all times and conduct quarterly preventive maintenance
- Support field sites on issues related to the maintenance and operation of other communication equipment e.g. tablets, mobile phones and land lines. Arrange necessary support in consultation with the IT Officer.
- Ensure maintenance or repair of IT equipment at field level are recorded.
- Management, control and accountability of all IT supplies, parts, equipment within GOAL field sites and provide management support including contingency planning
- Monitor, control and report on the use of GOAL IT equipment and IT administration is executed in a professional manner and in accordance with IMC Standards,
- Ensure Internet service provision contracts are accurate and up to date for all GOAL field sites in liaison with the IT Officer
- Keep record of IT related contracts
- Support Site Managers, Team Leader, and Area Coordinators during field visit with IT related issues.
- Ensure monthly IT reports are submitted to IT Officer at the end of each month.
Policy & Reporting:
- Report weekly to line manager on work completed & priorities of work outstanding
- Implement a tracking sheet for problems (calls and equipment) received
- Provide advice, when required, to GOAL sites on IT issues
- Submit field visits report to the IT Officer/ACDS with action plan/recommendation
- Come up with a replacement plan for IT Equipment based on field visit assessment on the available of IT resources
Requirements: (Educational, Qualification and Experience)
- Diploma in Information and Technology, Computer Science, Business Computing from a recognized university.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar position
- Good written & oral communication skills in English
- Broad knowledge of IT including hardware & related applications
- Experience of network administration of Local Area Networks (LAN)
- Ability to prioritise a demanding workload
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Able to travel to field sites.
- Strong IT and computer proficiency skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit application letter and curriculum vitae consisting at least three references for similar work by 12th April 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use this email subject line IT Roving Assistant or send to: The Human Resources Manager, GOAL, P O Box 31807, Blantyre 3.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com