Website GOAL Malawi
Smythe Road, Sunny Side, Blantyre
P O Box 31807, Blantyre 3, Malawi
Tel: (265) 1 827083
RN: NGO/R/002/03, C/0146/2002
Job title Senior Finance Officer
Job location: Blantyre
Reporting to: Finance Manager
GOAL has been operating in Malawi since 2002, initially in an emergency capacity, and then as a broader health and livelihoods focused development programme. Globally, GOAL’s current strategic goals are as follows; i) communities attain optimal and resilient health; ii) vulnerable groups participate in and shape their society and environment; iii) households and communities have economic and food security. These objectives are in line with the Government of Malawi’s own developmental priorities, as laid out in the MGDS II.
General Description of the Role
The Senior Finance Officer (SFO) will be primarily responsible for supporting the day to day running of the Blantyre Finance Office as well as supporting Finance Manager (FM)/Financial Controller (FC) in the month end reporting with a major task being the preparation of the monthly payroll.
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly management accounts for review by Country Director (CD)/FC to be submitted to GOAL HQ on the 9th working day after each month end.
Daily review of cash balances, ensure cashbooks are adequately funded in Blantyre and field offices, coordinating with field finance officers.
- Preparation of monthly payroll, including ensuring compliance with local statutory taxation and social security regulations as well as expat in country allowances
- Support FM in coordination of payments and cash transfers with field offices ensuring that the field finance is adequately supported by the head office.
- Take part in Monthly stock counts as required by GOAL policies
- Working closely with the FM, Management of all country floats including reconciliations, consolidation, reporting and coordinating of follow up
- Assisting FM in Setting up finance office in new locations ensuring the Finance assistants and the finance officers or adequately trained
- Conduct spot checks (and reporting of same to FC/FM) which may or may not involve field visits.
- Coordination of payments with logistics and programs team
- Conduct regular visits to field and partner offices in accordance with annual field visit plan to provide support to finance team based there and to ensure adherence to GOAL finance procedures
- Report immediately any material and significant financial risks identified during assessments or audits to the FC.
- Full knowledge and understanding of donor rules and regulations through GOAL’s donor manuals and training materials.
- If required assist the FC with donor reporting to ensure timely and accurate reporting
- Timely payment of all statutory taxes including WHT, PAYE and follow up of VAT claims.
- Assist FC/FM in the regular updating the audit control file.
- Filling and archiving of all finance documentation
- Cover for the Finance Manager when necessary and provide cover for field finance officers as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and Part Qualified Chartered Accountant preferred
NGO experience ideal
- Ideally experienced in dealing with institutional donors such as EU, Irish Aid and DFID
- At least four years’ work experience in a busy, changing environment
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working with a multinational country team
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills
- Excellent written and spoken English, communication and training skills
- Computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit application letters, copies of certificates and curriculum vitae consisting at least three references for similar work by 15th July, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org please use this email subject line: Senior Finance Officer or send to: The Human Resource Manager, GOAL, and P. O. Box 31807, Blantyre 3.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of Programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies. Any job offers made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidates, and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.