Global Fund Fiscal Agents provide a broad range of financial management services to grant recipients. The Senior Finance Specialist position will be part of an existing Fiscal Agent team that provide professional services for financial management, including internal controls, procurement, accounting, cash disbursements, financial reporting and account reconciliation to ensure the proper, efficient, effective and transparent use of the funds under the funded grants. The Fiscal Agent team also supports the Grant Recipient in complying with their budgeting and financial reporting requirements, works to strengthen Grant Recipient’s capacities and contributes to the overall effective and efficient financial management of the grant.
- Work alongside the Grant Recipient to ensure that all requests to commit funds and/or to make payments as part of the grant implementation: (i) are complete and accurate in terms of supporting documentation; (ii) are justified based on the approved budget and work-plans; (iii) have been appropriately authorized; and (iv) the expense is eligible.
- Carry out the necessary due diligence checks in order to ensure that the documentation in relation to all sub-grantees’ costs is authentic and the activity is in accordance with the approved budget and work-plan.
- Review procurement documents and ensure that method of identifying suppliers includes the selection criteria and methods for inviting quotations in accordance with applicable procurement procedures and laws of the country.
- Support Grant Recipient in preparation of financial reports and disbursement requests.
- Provide technical assistance and support to the Grant Recipient to build their capacity and ensure that they have appropriate systems and procedures in place.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Required minimum education and experience: Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, or equivalent accounting certification; 8+ years of experience in financial management and audit function.
- Preferred: Professional certifications such as CPA, CA, or ACCA, or equivalent specialized training; previous experience with grants funded by the Global Fund, Gavi, or other health donors desired.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Strong skills in internal controls and accounting standards.
- Experience preparing and revising program budgets and donor funded reporting.
- Experience establishing/revising financial policies and procedures, including procedures manuals.
- Previous experience working on an automated accounting system, and budget and commitment management.
- Knowledge of IFRS and IPSAS.
- Understanding of local tax laws and compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of local procurement regulations and best practices.
- Skills in fraud risk management is a plus.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office – strong Excel skills desired.
- Extensive experience and proficiency in the use of automated commitment, budgeting, and accounting software applications.
- Fluency in English required – reading, writing, and speaking.
- Detailed Oriented, Problem Solving, Outspoken, Interpersonal Savvy, Teamwork, Communications, Drive for Results, Personal Learning
- Limited local travel may be required.
- Must be a resident of Malawi.