Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
[pms-restrict subscription-plans = “516, 517”]
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian organization working in partnership with the Ministry of Health and other actors in Blantyre and environs on a cervical cancer project.
MSF-FRANCE is recruiting a suitable candidate for the position of:
SOCIAL WORKER FOR ONCOLOGY AND PALLIATIVE CARE (Based in Blantyre with some travels to Chiradzulu)
- The Social Worker will work under the Patient Support Activity Manager and work collaboratively with other medical staff including nurses, counsellors, and psychologists to provide psychosocial support for cancer patients
- To carry out all social-related activities, in order to ease the patient’s situation, to maximize his/her adherence to treatment and to improve his/her psychosocial condition.
- Identify social needs of patients through a social assessment. Respond to the patient’s social needs, according to the scope of the project, by giving direct social support (as transport food, legal advice,…) and/or refer to other social actors, in order to actively contribute to the improvement of their quality of living.
- Contact patients to follow up the evolution of their condition when needed (home visits, defaulter tracing)
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for the activities of social workers.
- Take care of social services facilities, materials and equipments in order to ensure continuity.
- Mapping and regular update of social partners, local authorities, other NGOs, and governmental social services in order to improve social services scope and responsiveness.
- Keep records, statistic and files updated, reporting any social activity, in order to prioritize and develop appropriate programs or projects.
- Fixed-term contract with intended renewal
- Intended starting date: mid-July to Aug 2019
Skills & Qualifications
- Degree/Diploma in Social work or associated field of study is desirable but not compulsory
- Minimum two years full-time working experience in assisting cancer patients in hospital settings compulsory
- Experience working with hospitals, MSF, or other NGOs, essential
- Basic computer literacy in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Understanding of the socioeconomic challenges of cancer patients and experience providing social support to cancer patients and sensitivity to people living with a life-limiting condition, those who are dying or bereaved are essential.
Interested applicants should send their written application letter (letter of motivation) with a detailed CV indicating postal address, day phone contacts, photocopies of ID, work permission and relevant certificates of work experience to the following addresses:
By Mail: Medecins Sans Frontieres – France, P. O. Box 2736, Blantyre, Malawi WRITE « Social Worker Position » ON ENVELOPE
By Email: email@example.com Subject Line: Social Worker Position
NOTE: Letters, CVs and any documentation included in application package will not be returned. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. MSFF does not reimburse the possible costs for transportation for tests and interviews that may take place during the recruitment process. MSF is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fees.
Deadline to apply for this position: June 24th, 2019 at 5:00PM